Tuesday 26 March 2019

Nungu (palm fruit) and walking


I love to go for long walks, in fact the best way to know your city or any place in the world is to walk and enjoy the nature. When I travel which is a habit now, taking short break from everyday running around. I feel happy and rejuvenated after a refreshing journey to unknown destinations.

Coming back to the very interesting part of my walkaton. Well, I am preparing myself for a long walk and trekking to visit a dream destination. Valley of flowers. I don't know when I will take a break and embark to this rare gem hidden in the valley of Himalayas.

By the way I go for walking every day to short distance say 2 to 3 kilometres. But of late the desire to go for more enjoyable walks have taken over!!
So I increase the distance slowly day by day week by week. A long term planning.

Today I thought of taking a brisk walk after making breakfast and lunch. It was about 10 am and it was bright, sunny outside.

There is a small park nearby where I live and a temple, plus you can also buy fresh vegetables. Many benefits by walking around your neighbourhood.

When I reached the park it was almost closing time. A security guard was trying to chase away the few who were still sitting and doing exercise. I took a large round in the park, then realized the guard have already locked the main entrance.

To my dismay I could't see people inside probably many just left. Then I started walking towards other gates, luckily one was half open. Thanking my stars I came out of the park and walked outside.

As I was walking towards my home on the streets in a cart I saw a palm fruit seller. We call it nungu in Tamizh. After a pleasant chit chat with the guy in Kannada, he finally realised I can speak in Tamizh, which I think most of the people sense!

Well, he and a few like him get the fruit from Salem.  One full cart of nungu will get sold by afternoon! Each one costing about 30 rupees.
But they were really delicious and I enjoyed eating them. The thin layer of tender skin around the fruit was bit tricky to remove. But I tried to remove it and just gulped the tender, juicy fruit. It was yum! 





By the way he gave me another very tender one, that was full of juice. In fact while he was cutting it was dripping!

After that I went to the temple had a good darshan and merrily walked back home.

I stood under a tree and the small flowers were falling when the gentle breeze blow.





Had a great morning walk, about 4 kilometres today.  

I will come up more with my stories!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment