Monday 24 March 2014

Moringai ellai adai (Drum sticks leaves adai)



I bought two small bunches of moringai leaves from Jayanagar market. Yes here we have to buy! At home in Trivandrum we have long big trees, I like the leaves, flower and drumsticks. I am posting how the drumsticks leaves look for my viewers from all over the world. Of course you may have this beautiful tree somewhere in your country. I have seen in Vietnam the tree will be plenty in province but I don't think drumsticks leaves are used in Vietnamese cuisine.  

But in India we use especially Moringaikay  in south more than North Indian cuisine. I have once tasted a curry made out of drumsticks and potato curry made in north Indian style. It was tasty. 

The toughest job to remove tender moringai (drumsticks leaves) from its stem, this need lot of patience! I have just finished doing it. As I have plans to make Moringai ellai adai for tomorrow breakfast. I have soaked a cup of red rice and a cup glass of boiled rice. Have to grind it after 3 to 4 hours. 










I will share with you the simple recipe for moringai ellai adai.

Moringai ellai adai(drum stick leaves adai)




Ingredients

Rad boiled rice - 1 cup
boiled rice/Idly rice - 1 cup
coconut - 1/2 cup
salt as required
drum stick leaves - 1 bunch(wash, remove leaves from stem)
gingly oil - for frying adai

Method 

*Wash and soak red rice and boiled rice together for about 3 to 4 hours. Grind in mixer add salt and coconut. 

*Keep it in room temperature for about 3 hours, and keep it in refrigerator. As its summer time the batter should not be left out for long it may become sour. 

*Next day morning take the batter out and add muringay tender leaves. Mix well. 

* Use a thick dosa tawa, I use iron dosa kallu. It can be heated and will hold the heat which is required for crispy adai. 

Heat the dosa tawa(kallu) and pour one big ladle full of adai batter spread it evenly into round shape. 

*Don't make it too thin nor too fat. Make it just medium thickness. Pour gingly oil on the sides and put a tiny hole in the middle and pour a little oil for better cooking and crispness. 

*Allow the adai to cook very well turn it and make sure adai is crispy and well cooked before removing from the dosa pan.  

Tempted to try?

Serve hot with tomato chutney, liquid jaggery, jack fruit jam, jaggery. 






No comments:

Post a Comment