Saturday 3 November 2018

Walnuts, cocoa, coconut burfi - Diwali sweets

Festival and more festivals! After Navaratri its diwali, and that means sweets, savoury and yummy special dishes.

I have a basket full of coconut in my kitchen, thanks to Navaratri! Our daily consumption of coconut is limited, thus a lot is left without using it.

I thought of making some sweets out of coconut. Then it was preparation time which is taxing. Grating coconut a task I find too boring especially when you have 3 coconuts in a row! I wish I had  magical lamp and rub it to call genie for help!! Hmmm... No genie no lamp. But the genius in me finally managed to get it grated and I made a coarse powder of it in mixer. Then it was just magic I found few ingredients which I thought will add more flavour to the sweet.

Ingredients

Grated coconut 4 cups

Sugar 2 cups

Coconut water 1 cup(a secret ingredient I thought will add more flavour to burfi)

Cardamom 5

Clove 4

Ghee 3 tsp

Walnuts a handful 

Cocoa powder 1tsp

Tips

Use fresh, fleshy coconuts, add cardamom, clove and coconut in mixer and make coarse powder.

Preserve water extracted from coconut

Make sure you make one string sugar syrup

Clean and break walnuts into tiny pieces

Take a plate, grease it with ghee

Method

In a large pan add two cups of sugar coconut water and stir it, allow it to boil and reduce, check for its consistency.

We want a little thick bit sticky one string sugar syrup. Add grated coconut, mix well, keep stirring. Add ghee, broken walnuts, mix in. After a few minutes you will notice the entire burfi has become one large lump,leaving ghee in the process. Its time to spread it in another greased plate. Use spatula to spread evenly and cut into desired shape. Allow it to reach room temperature, gently use a sieve to sprinkle cocoa powder. Separate each piece and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment