Saturday 27 October 2018

Pathrode

I was always fascinated by the lost recipes of our cuisine. Stumbled upon one such recipe. Patrode is a snack made by using arbi leaves, besan and other spices.

We have quite a number of arbi plants on our backyard. I was very curious to try patrode for Mom and wanted to surprise her with a dish. Collected a few tender leaves and started preparation. Dad was well aware of my plan, he interrupted, those leaves may itch!! I was like, Dad, no they are so tender and I am sure I will make it good. Fingers crossed, I was wondering will these lovely heart shaped leaves be as good as the one I've tasted?

I plucked a few good leaves, washed them carefully and prepared the thick basen batter for applying inside.

Ingredients

Arbi leaves 5 to 6
Besan 1and 1/2 cups
Ajwain 1 tsp
Red chilli powder 2 tsp
Garam masala 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
heeng a pinch
Salt as required

Tips

Select the best, tender leaves
Sieve besan
Add fresh masalas

Method

Make a thick batter using besan, water, turmeric, salt, ajwain, red chilli powder, heeng, garam masala powder.

Wash and clean every single leaf, evenly spread thick batter on both sides of arbi leaves. Roll it to desired shape, I rolled few into triangle, few into wraps.

Pour water on a steamer, I used idly vessel, place rolls into idly vessel, use separators or steamer vessel. Steam for about 20 minutes. Once cooked, pierce a skewer and check whether its completely cooked.

Remove the patrode, cut into medium thick discs, pour oil on tawa, carefully place pieces of patrode, get it roasted till golden brown. Repeat the process until all are done. Serve with black tea or coffee. It tastes great as an evening snack.

Mom loved it and she said its very different, yummy,  well done! And me on cloud nine!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment