Tuesday 1 April 2014

Lauki(Bottle gourd) and Aloo(potato) gravy

Good afternnoon friends.  Today I feel like sharing one more simple recipe. Lauki and aloo gravy. Lauki is a very nutritious vegetable. In India its juice is used to reduce/manage body weight.  

I had some interesting interaction with my friends in my fb post. When I asked my friends the name of vegetables many had problems in identifying one small vegetable! It resemble kundru (kovakka) but its called parwal  or padwal in hindi. I make lauki/parwal aloo curry. The recipe is same except for I change the vegetable.  This one is for you my friends who wanted to try and taste parwal curry!











Lauki (bottle gourd) and aloo curry


Ingredients

lauki - 1 medium size
aloo - 2 medium
turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
onion - 2 medium
tomato - 1 big
green chilly - 2
ginger - a small piece
salt as required

For Dry roast

Dhaniya(coriander)seed - 1 1/2 tsp
jeera - 2 tsp
red chilly - 2
clove - 1

For frying

sunflower oil/ghee - 2 tsp
cinnamon stick - a small piece


Method of Preparation

Wash, peel and cut into cubes lauki and aloo, Keep aside.

Peel onion and chop  into big pieces. Cut tomato into big pieces. Chop green chilly and ginger. In a mixer add dry roast ingredients, onion,tomato, green chilly and ginger. Make a coarse paste. 

In a heated pressure pan pour oil/ghee add cinnamon stick. Allow it to release aroma. Now add onion tomato paste. Allow the paste to release ghee/oil. Now add aloo(potato)  lauki, turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Coat potato and lauki with the masala. Allow the vegetables to cook in its masala for a while. Now add 2 cups of water and cook in pressure cooker for 2 whistles. Off the stove open the cooker and remove the gravy in serving bowl. Add chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with roti. 

Note : Lauki (dudhi) is known as Surakkai in tamil. One of my fb friend just reminded me the more medicinal value of this wonder vegetable. The following link has good information. 

http://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/nutritional-guard-bottle-gourd.htm

variation: Instead of lauki you can use parwal. Parwal do have very thick skin! So either you can use a knife to scrape the skin or use a peeler to peel the skin. Cut parwal into four pieces. I will post the picture the day I make aloo and parwal curry. Yes I have posted the picture today. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment